Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Oct 18, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2016 2:22 pm 

Ted talks recent posting - Michael Shellenberger - How fear of nuclear power is hurting the environment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXUR4z2P9w

Thorium MSR is briefly discussed. One of the things mentioned is how China's Thorium program doesn't expect to have working commercial Thorium plants online before 2040.
I hope that proves to be pessimistic, and that we see commercial Thorium plants operating much sooner than that.

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2016 8:51 pm 

I just watched the video and it does pose an interesting view of nuclear power, and it's pros and cons. We cannot rely on wind and solar alone as a path away from our fossil fuel based economy. We will need nuclear power.

I believe that we've learned from Fukushima much of how fear of nuclear power is a greater threat than nuclear power itself. Evacuation costs lives, people die from traffic accidents and so forth. This needs to be taken into account when considering an evacuation order, and I believe it will. We learned a lot from Chernobyl too on what to do and not do in considering an evacuation. What we learned from both is how to NOT build a nuclear reactor.

What was also an interesting point raised is that if we are to destroy the current stockpiles of nuclear weapons then we need nuclear reactors to do it. The people that think we should abandon all nuclear power and destroy our nuclear weapons are living in some kind of fantasy world. I'm not suggesting we need to destroy our nuclear weapons, only that it is an impossible demand to both destroy these weapons AND no longer have any nuclear reactors.

Given the current politics in the USA I imagine that we will have thorium power here precisely two years after China does. America is not fighting to be first any more, America fights to not be in third place.