Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Dec 14, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Jan 17, 2016 1:26 am 

Thorium is irradiated and reprocessed in India for further use with thorium. It is at a research stage yet and a U232 fueled reactor KAMINI is in operation. US produced and disposed off a quantity of U232.
If not thorium, then uranium blanket can be used. There is really enough U238 already mined round the world. Thorium could be used for superior fissile U232 if found feasible commercially.

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2016 11:12 am 

Energy from Thorium: Chloride Reactor Research Funded by DOE

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2016 7:51 am 

Kirk Sorensen wrote:

Not much use if the NRC isn't on board! Or it will be a lot of use. For China.

Any mention of the amount of the awards?

From a standing start, can TerraPower get something ready for the UK competition?

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2016 9:22 am 

Kirk Sorensen wrote:

I guess it can be a way to re-use the spent LWR fuel after re-processing it.

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2016 11:58 am 

I imagine that a molten chloride fast reactor would be single-fluid, since there is not much advantage for a blanket salt and would have possible proliferation concerns?

The other design issues, I'd imagine are materials (for corrosion), chemistry of the salt, and chlorine isotopic purity (discussed on another thread).

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2016 9:35 pm 

So in light of this news, the senior class at tech was given fast spectrum molten salt reactors for senior design.

Two groups are doing Molten Chloride designs. One group is doing a breeder, and the other (that I'm apart of) is doing a waste burner.

I guess I should've paid more attention to Jagdish on the forums. :lol:

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2016 12:35 am 

On one hand, there is bossism of nuclear powers, NSG and NPT making it difficult to get nuclear fuel. There is also anti-nuclear lobby opposing everything including mining and selling of uranium.
On the other hand used fuel is a bugbear trying to stop even existing nuclear power stations.
There is a serious energy shortage in many areas.
My views are a logical solution to situation as it exists. Closed cycle making use of U238 and thorium is an obvious way forward.
However, apprehensions, twisted logic and vested interests are often more powerful in decision making. :lol:

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2016 12:22 pm 

Has anyone done any serious world on a large scale Chloride DMSR. Like the ORNL reference design for fluoride reactors?

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2016 10:44 am 

Technology Review: Energy Department Funds Two Advanced Nuclear Programs

World Nuclear News: US invests in advanced reactor development

TerraPower: Continuing Innovation

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2016 10:48 am 

I realized something yesterday about this project that could prove rather challenging.

If the reactor is using the uranium-plutonium fuel cycle, which is almost certainly the case, the equilibrium composition of the fuel salt will contain a large fraction of plutonium chloride in solution. Thus, to do accurate materials testing, it will be necessary to set up loops that contain the actual fuel salt, including the plutonium.

There's no cheap, low-activity form of plutonium out there that can simulate fissile plutonium in the way that uranium-238 can chemically simulate uranium-235 or uranium-233. They will have to use actual plutonium, probably fissile plutonium, to do accurate materials development.

That will be VERY expensive and will probably require such work to be done at a national lab in very secure facilities. This is drive development costs up for even relatively simple screening tests on various materials in thermal-convection loops and so forth.

Chloride reactors are definitely worth doing, but forward progress will be expensive and challenging for this simple fact. I think real salt testing including high plutonium content will be required.

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2016 3:16 pm 

Cerium might be a reasonable simulant for preliminary testing. The +3 ions are the same size, and the trichlorides the same crystal structure in the solid state, with melting and boiling points within 50°C. Chemically, both are readily oxidised to the +4 state by oxygen and fluorine, but not by chlorine.

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2016 6:50 pm 

TerraPower's MCFR concept sketch does look rather like EVOL's MSFR.
But there could be details left out of the core internals (just as there are pumps missing).

Attachments:
TerraPower_MCFR_label.jpg
TerraPower_MCFR_label.jpg [ 44.29 KiB | Viewed 3063 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2016 7:59 pm 

Jaro, do you have a link to where that image came from?

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2016 5:32 pm 

Kirk, I used Google image search. The only place that image is found is on your own Energy from Thorium site, Jan 16.

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2016 11:19 pm 

Will they again go to China for a prototype? :?:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next