Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Dec 16, 2017 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2013 7:23 am 

Hi Cyrill,

I adapted my paper "Usage of Thorium(chloride) in a MCFR Reactor". Shall I add a notice...Thanks to Cyrill....

I assumed to do the gassing out of the PaCl4 and the noble gas fission products by a helium bubbling or a jet scrubber. Don`t you think it works with PaCl4?

Holger

Attachments:
Thorium MCFR.pdf [479.12 KiB]
Downloaded 121 times

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2013 9:30 am 

Thanks for the paper Holger.

It's important to consider some volatility basics. PaCl4 is volatile, but it's also extremely dilute in the blanket. So it may not come out easily with any processing method based on its volatility. Unlike noble gasses, PaCl4 should be very soluble in the melt, so it may wish to stay there. Dilute, soluble, problematic. Like a ppm of water in molten salt. Very difficult to get that last ppm of water out on volatility processing.

Though it is kind of interesting if you can get pure PaCl4 gas in a holdup tank. When it decays it makes UCl4 which can be conveniently drained.

You could probably operate a bit colder than 640C still. Maybe 600C. And your core has a low pressure drop (just a single channel) and if you use a PCHE type of primary HX, a higher inlet temperature is also advisable. Maybe 500C inlet, 600C outlet.

Have you considered single fluid to deal with the PaCl4 removal and barrier issues?

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2013 5:14 pm 

Hi Cyrill,

the distillation of fission product salts is indeed a major point in my considerations.

My idea is to inject a liquid salt mixture in a vacuum chamber to vaporize salts with a lower b.p. and let the gas stream go thru a droplet separator and then in a jet scrubber to extract the low b.p salts from helium.

Are there any reports that give a qualitative or even better a quantitative data about the volatility of such salt mixtures?

Does the remaining low b.p. salts reduce the density of the salt mixture in the primary circuit?

Holger

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2013 3:20 am 

Here's a list of melting and boiling points for various chlorides that occur inside a molten chloride reactor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JWB/C ... volatility

Distillation will recover almost all UCl4, PaCl4, ThCl4 and most of the NaCl. The still bottoms will be enriched in the +3 chlorides, which is one of the reasons U/Pu (PuCl3) is actually not that attractive as a fuel cycle for fast chloride reactors (despite the neutron production advantage). The still bottoms will therefore become heavier over time. Product distillate should weigh about the same as the pre-feed salt, unless you're processing extremely slow.

With just distillation (no chloride volatility), UCl3 will be lost to the bottoms, but it can be easily converted to UCl4 by adding an unstable (oxidising) chloride. That does mean more corrosion in the still, but you can coat it with platinum or something or make it out of carbon composite. UCl3 is at least easier to recover than PuCl3 by distillation alone, so that can also be attempted, simply by running the vacuum still hotter, since the chlorides reactor won't care so much about fission products coming along to poison the reactor (fast spectrum, low losses to FPs).