Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Dec 14, 2017 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2013 9:52 am 

I have been reading some documents on a fairly recent waste digester concept, proposed by Prof. McIntyre from Texas A&M University, that couples a proton accelerator/cyclotron to 'molten salt fission pots'. The idea is to use pyrochemical reprocessing technologies that have been developed for the EBR-II / IFR in Idaho, which used LiCl-KCl salts. It is interesting, in so far that the use of chlorides is proposed. I was surprised by the statement that chlorides have low chemical corrosiveness (see slide 9 of the linked document), because I have been under the impression that chlorides are more corrosive than fluorides. Any thoughts on this ?

Nevertheless, the research by this team in Texas might also be interesting for other MSR researchers, because they are doing corrosion testing of certain alloys (see last couple of slides).

Link:

http://www.cse.anl.gov/nuclear_enviro_p ... 0Salts.pdf

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2013 4:19 pm 

camiel wrote:
I was surprised by the statement that chlorides have low chemical corrosiveness (see slide 9 of the linked document), because I have been under the impression that chlorides are more corrosive than fluorides. Any thoughts on this ?

Nevertheless, the research by this team in Texas might also be interesting for other MSR researchers, because they are doing corrosion testing of certain alloys (see last couple of slides)

Any serious work on MS corrosion that I have read has said the same, chloride corrosion is less that fluoride BUT chemistry is more complex. I think that many people take that chemistry challenge to mean that chloride corrosion is worse. It is my belief that with a small amount of additional work it would be possible to dual qualify some of these alloys for fluoride and chloride service.