Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Sep 19, 2018 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 11:27 am 

Time to fix the title of this thread! DaveMart is this something you are authorized to do since you started it?

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 12:36 pm 

USBRW:
Of course everyone can also use Google.
But is is pretty lame just to say that you have other information without posting the link.
Often the precise information one has depends on the exact search terms.
If you don't believe me you can look up the problem in the library of Congress.
You will find the information there somewhere.
It is hardly necessary to be so obstreperous.

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 1:55 pm 

Careful, Bob's a PWR guy, so you might upset him with the "B" from Boiling Water Reactor. :lol:

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2012 2:39 am 

Yeah, I would be nice to see the post we are replying to when we are composing a message!
Especially for those like me who at an advanced age suffer from the 'goldfish syndrome'! :-)

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 9:11 pm 

Don't be so touchy. I don't have a lot of time these days for non work stuff. This is my sleep time. I get short when I am tired.

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2018 11:24 am 

No new nuclear units will be built in US due to high cost: Exelon official

Quote:
Due to their high cost relative to other generating options, no new nuclear power units will be built in the US, an Exelon official said Thursday.

"The fact is -- and I don't want my message to be misconstrued in this part -- I don't think we're building any more nuclear plants in the United States. I don't think it's ever going to happen," William Von Hoene, senior vice president and chief strategy officer at Exelon, told the US Energy Association's annual meeting in Washington. With 23 operational reactors, Exelon is the US' largest nuclear operator.

"I'm not arguing for the construction of new nuclear plants," Von Hoene said. "They are too expensive to construct, relative to the world in which we now live."

Nuclear power in the US "at this point is really a bridge to a different kind of carbon-free world," he said.

If the existing nuclear units in the US can be kept operational despite the economic challenges they face, and technology can be developed to store energy generated by renewable technologies, which are currently intermittently available, "then we won't need these [new nuclear units] at that point," Von Hoene said. "And we won't build them because they'll be too expensive."

"I think it's very unlikely that absent some extraordinary change in environment or technology, that any nuclear plants beyond the Vogtle plant [in Georgia] will be built in my lifetime, by any company," Von Hoene said in an interview at the meeting Thursday.

The two-unit expansion of Georgia Power's Vogtle nuclear plant has experienced first-of-a-kind design, licensing, procurement and construction delays, leading in part to the bankruptcy of main contractor Westinghouse. Georgia Power says Vogtle-3 and -4 will begin commercial operation in November 2021 and November 2022, respectively.

Von Hoene's stance includes so-called small modular reactors, or SMRs, and advanced designs, he said.

"Right now, the costs on the SMRs, in part because of the size and in part because of the security that's associated with any nuclear plant, are prohibitive," Von Hoene said.

"It's possible that that would evolve over time, and we're involved in looking at that technology," Von Hoene said. "Right now they're prohibitively expensive."

Well, good news Mr. Von Hoene, liquid-fluoride thorium reactors are an "extraordinary change in technology".

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2018 11:36 am 

Unfortunately there won't be an LFTR ready for commercial build inside 20 years.
And I'm beginning to worry that the continuous decline in space launch costs is going to make us all obsolete anyway.

If costs reach $500/kg, which no longer looks unreasonable, then the ESA SailTower proposals from 2002 become competitive.

And microwave transmission tech has come a long way since then.

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2018 9:04 am 

Exelon is Strongly Committed to the Future of Nuclear Energy

Quote:
With needed reforms, however, Exelon sees tremendous promise in advanced nuclear technologies, including small modular reactors that can be built on a shorter capital cycle, and Exelon is partnering with a variety of companies to pursue these innovative technologies. Exelon also continues to promote advanced nuclear reactor designs and advance international nuclear growth opportunities. In addition, Exelon has invested millions in predictive technologies and innovations and power uprates.

“Exelon is fully engaged in preserving our nation’s existing nuclear fleet and advancing the nuclear technologies of tomorrow,” said Crane. “We can’t imagine a clean energy future without zero-emission nuclear energy. But we also have to be honest with ourselves about the need for changes to markets and energy policy to value resilience and environmental attributes in a technology neutral way. If we do that, then nuclear energy will easily find its place along with renewable energy and next-generation storage in America’s future energy mix.”

Exelon sure is walking back that previous comment...

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2018 2:23 am 

LWRs, the current mainstay of nuclear energy are big structures dealing with limited amounts of fuel. We have to develop compact structures to cut costs. The solution can be found in
MSRs reducing the pressures at least in the reactor. Conversion of heat to electricity is a separate subject.
Fast fission cycles reducing the moderator volumes.
Lifter meets the first requirement. However aims of a breeder and thermal cycle heap up costs.
IMSR tries to reach another interm solution at reduced cost. Looks more likely to be real next step.
A parallel path would be maximising the production of U233 in existing reactors. This could lead to fast or thermal thorium breeders.