Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently May 28, 2017 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2017 6:49 pm 

While surfing the internet, "On YouTube", (Not Necessarily a good Source), a young fellow was cutting apart a dead Magnetron tube, to recover the "Thorium" filament element. A search of Wiki told me the filament may contain 1-2% thorium. Probably not even a recoverable amount.
I service High power RF equipment, using LARGE vacuum tubes from 50-100 KW. These are much bigger then a 600 watt microwave tube.
at 1-2% Thorium, it isn't worth my efforts or time, and they I'd have to deal with a controlled substance.
I then Googled Thorium and found

http://subscribe.energyandcapital.com/7 ... Am7C8P8HAQ

Here I found I could "Invest" in thorium. . . . ? Huh? . . . ? What?? Invest in a controlled Substance?

I Clicked on it, and there it was. I Again read the address more closely . . . There it was, Right in the address . . . . The Word jOKE . . . I think it may be an April Fools Joke.

P.S. You have to view the entire address to see the word " jOKE "

Steve

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2017 12:21 pm 

KA0OLD wrote:
Here I found I could "Invest" in thorium. . . . ? Huh? . . . ? What?? Invest in a controlled Substance?

I Clicked on it, and there it was. I Again read the address more closely . . . There it was, Right in the address . . . . The Word jOKE . . . I think it may be an April Fools Joke.

I do not believe it to be a joke, at least not the kind that one pulls on April 1st. It might be a "joke" in that they are someone that cannot be taken seriously but investing in controlled substances is a real thing. People buy uranium stocks all the time, this is a piece of paper that shows ownership in a uranium mine and/or the stockpile of uranium owned by a company. People invest in things like alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and all kinds of drugs that are controlled under the law, I don't see how investing in thorium would be any different.

What does make thorium very different than many other items where it's ownership and trade is controlled by law is the size of the market. If you've read the news lately you'll see that the trade in opiates and firearms is strong right now in spite of (or pehaps because of) laws controlling their trade. When it comes to thorium though the trade is quite small, limited to things like magnetrons, specialty thoriated welding rods, and so on.

Investing in thorium might be a very profitable investment. What's holding it back is a kind of chicken and egg problem, few people want it and so production is small, since production is small there it little incentive to use it as a material.

As for the word "joke" in the address, I believe that is just an accident of the random letters generated. There's a lot of four letter words in the English language, if you have a long enough string of random letters a few four letter words will appear. That series of letters is some sort of identifier, telling the server where the link came from or something, I removed the "joke" characters and I got the same page. Try it:
http://subscribe.energyandcapital.com/75069

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2017 4:34 am 

Thorium as a metal has such low radioactivity that it is sad that it has lost so many uses because of it.
The main real benefit of thorium in nuclear use comes from U-233 produced by its irradiation. Perhaps we should introduce a thorium blanket in reactors and collect U-233 for breeder reactors like plutonium was collected for weapons. So far only the Indian pfbr has been so designed.

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2017 12:43 pm 

Well the original wasn't an April Fools Gag, it was a real investment opportunity, but It is a level and risk level I'm not personally
interested in. I am also a collector of old radio stuff (As well as a service guy for High power Tubes). In the early history some tubes lit a direct heated filament either to a dull red, or bright white. One of those was a "Thoriated Tungsten" type filament. Most of us are familiar with the dull red cathode type filaments, the stuff I work with typically are bright white lighted tubes consuming about 2 KW just to light them up, then add about 40 KW of High voltage current. Much different than the 6 volt, 1/4 amp (1 Amp for Bright White) lit direct heated tubes of the past. Is thorium still used it power tubes yet today? I don't know, but I recall hearing the word thorium used in conjunction with welding tips Possibly tig or mig? At 1-2 % I doubt we or "Them" really have anything to worry about.

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2017 6:45 am 

Are those the kind of high voltage high current transmitter tubes that are used till this very day since transistors would not hold up for both large currents and high voltages that you are talking about ?

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2017 5:37 pm 

Yes, High Power Radio Frequency oscillators as in Vinyl Sealing, Heat Treating steel, welding tubing, Drying leather, High power radio and television transmitters. I've got some 3CW30,000H3 spare vacuum tubes if you need them. There are still applications where a vacuum tube is still the "Switch" of choice, when it comes to high power and High Frequency.
The tube I mentioned requires about 6.3 volts at a 175 amps, to light the filament, 1.1 kw to light it up , and can dissipate 30KW on the water cooled plate, giving a rough output power of 45 KW RF for your AM Radio Broadcast transmitter. so 10,000 volts at maybe 7 amps of plate current is possible here. The tube above in a Triode. All brass, copper, aluminum, etc. electrical hardware, at RF levels of power, ferrous metals glow red. Different things heat differently and different frequencies.
Steve

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2017 8:14 pm 

It should be noted that increasingly high performance wide-band-gap semiconductors are starting to eat into whats left of the high power tube market.

SiC and GaN MOSFETs are no joke.

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2017 9:28 pm 

Your Correct, everyday improvements are being done with Semiconductors, and efficiency goes up with it. The problem is mostly capacitance within the elements of the device. As our Cell phones move into 5GHZ frequency low power and line of site are the keys to this operation. Luckily we don't need high power for this and there are health risks involved as power goes up.
removing Moisture from leather (Water not oil) was done at 27.12 MHZ. Yup, right in the middle of the Citizens band. If you look at the band plan, they skipped the 27.12 MHZ frequency when setting the Channel numbers. BTW, if you put oiled leather into the RF Field at this freq, the oil will boil and light up the leather. If your heat treating steel, 3 KHZ goes about a 1/4 inch deep, 10 KHZ goes about 1/8 inch deep. More time will make it go deeper, power and rotation have factors, basic numbers at best.
If you want to go shallow into steel, such as gear teeth, you may move up to 450 KHZ and into a vacuum tube machine. maybe 25-100 KW. If you picture an atom, Nucleolus Protons and Neutrons, being circled by orbiting electrons, the RF Field will warp the orbit of the electrons to the left and then to the right, at a rate of the Frequency applied. When you do this, heat is produced within the metal or vinyl, or leather. The experienced operator can tell you the heat of the metal by the shade of Red or more often orange and even yellow. These guys are impressive.
The first power mosfet machines took several mosfet modules and Hooked them in push Pull Parallel. These were costly to repair as they often chain reacted when they failed, making repairs expensive. the big thing a few years back was IGBPT's and IG-MOSFET's but These machines are still pretty new and I haven't seen many. Us tube guys that know how to make this stuff work I.E. Grid Current and Resonance, etc. are getting old and dying off. These operate in a different zone than the Televisions and tiny Vacuum tubes of the past. I'm a young kid to these guys, I'm 64. I've not found anybody to follow my path. Antique, odd-ball and obsolete.

Steve