Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Dec 14, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2017 5:30 am 

The French government has announced that it plans to close up to 17 nuclear reactors by 2025, according to Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-franc ... SKBN19V0GN

A French source, with more details (La Tribune):

http://www.latribune.fr/economie/france ... 43356.html

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2017 1:39 pm 

Don't take these claims too seriously, the previous government said that they would close Fessenheim (the oldest power plant and maybe one of the most vunerable to natural events like earthquakes and floodings) and they didn't.

Closing these reactors by 2025 will cost too much money, and the opposition from the industry will be, I don't see current politicians doing that. I think it's just empty claims and communication, politics in France now is just that.

Maybe I am wrong but really I am confident that this won't happen at least not in that kind of timeframe.

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2017 6:24 pm 

There is the structural issue that there are now some misgivings over metal parts used throughout the french fleet, manufactured domestically in france, that may be under spec. Though that comes from an ongoing audit of Areva's Creusot forge facility and the abnormal carbon content of metals manufactured there, and the parts may not be bad per se. Unfortunately, initial reports don't look promising, as the auditor is claiming the forge may be fundamentally incapable of the carbon content levels expected.

Whether that will used as fuel to kill off the plants is another matter. But it's easy to see a scenario where there are calls of fleet shutdown for "safety/maintenance inspections" which will create the opportunity for permanent closure.

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2017 1:53 pm 

Quote:
Whether that will used as fuel to kill off the plants is another matter. But it's easy to see a scenario where there are calls of fleet shutdown for "safety/maintenance inspections" which will create the opportunity for permanent closure.

The problem is : what will we use to replace these reactors ? Nuclear makes up for 75 % of the electricity production and we export a lot of power to the surrounding countries. The fleet can not be shut down even if we discover a major technical default.

Closing a part of the fleet over the next decade is a huge financial lost, that's why it is highly probable that nothing will happen (but we can not be sure with those crazy politicians).

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2017 5:01 pm 

Even Fessenheim's closure has been pushed back.

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2017 11:33 am 

What could be the implications of last week's announcement for the French Gen-IV nuclear program, notably the ASTRID sodium-cooled fast reactor to be constructed at Marcoule ? The French government is expected to make a final decision on the ASTRID reactor in 2019. The announcement of Nicolas Hulot, to close up to 17 reactors, doesn't bode well for the French Gen-IV program and ASTRID. This could not only have major implications for Gen-IV in France, but also for Gen-IV in the EU, as France is pre-eminent in nuclear energy.

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2017 3:15 pm 

In their calendar, if I remember correctly, they are planning the first criticality of ASTRID around 2038. Anything can happen during this timeframe, specially with today majority which seems to doesn't have a clear opinion on nuclear energy.

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2017 5:08 pm 

Another article in the forum claims they are going to shut all coal plants (they don't have many anyway), by 2023. I guess they are giving up electricity.

The nuclear shut-down will not happen. That would be painful for France in the extreme. They will make the current reactors last longer, and then EDF has to get back on the ball and develop a large-scale construction plan, like they did in the 70's -- 80's.

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2017 7:33 pm 

Some of the oldest plants may become uneconomic to run. These could be closed.
The France was leading in fast reactors at one time but has slowed down. They are still recycling the used fuel. They could get their fast reactor legs once again and use the fast reactors to dispose off the used LWR fuel, practically for ever!

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2017 2:54 pm 

Reality has set in in France regarding nuclear power: the goal to cut the share of nuclear power to 50% and close up to 17 reactors by 2025, is unattainable. It's "too brutal and unrealistic" according to the French environment minister Nicolas Hulot:

http://www.france24.com/en/20171107-fra ... nvironment

Fab was very prescient in an earlier comment:

Quote:
Closing these reactors by 2025 will cost too much money, and the opposition from the industry will be, I don't see current politicians doing that. I think it's just empty claims and communication, politics in France now is just that.

Maybe I am wrong but really I am confident that this won't happen at least not in that kind of timeframe.