Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Jul 24, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2016 6:29 pm 

I saw this in the news today, an article about people picking radioactive wild berries in and near the Chernobyl exclusion zone. What I found more interesting though was that the new containment structure over the failed reactor has been put into place. Also, it appears that China has plans to put a solar power plant inside the exclusion zone around the reactor.

Quote:
A nuclear reactor at Chernobyl exploded in 1986, spewing tons of radioactive material into the air, and contaminating an area of thousands of miles around the reactor, spanning parts of Ukraine, Russia and Belarus. On Tuesday, engineers placed a 32,000-ton arch over the site in an attempt to contain any other radioactive material that might make its way out.

The arch, known as the Chernobyl New Safe Confinement, is considered a feat of engineering, in part because safety demanded that the massive structure be built away from the site and then moved into place.

Quote:
And two Chinese companies, Golden Concord and China National Complete Engineering, are reportedly making investments in the zone: They are planning to build a solar farm.

I'm generally not a fan of solar power but if the area is unfit for habitation, farming, hunting, and has existing infrastructure for electrical power transmission then I can't be too opposed to it. If the Chinese think that they can make money selling electricity from solar power out there then I say let them try.

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2016 9:32 pm 

I find the Rod Adams comment on the dome that it was unnecessary quite interesting.
If the radiation emitted by the buried remains of the reactor is low and its radiation not radio nuclides, what is the logic in building that monster ?

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2016 11:43 pm 

There is some concern that the existing structure might collapse catastrophically and result in significant amounts of radioactive dust being kicked up.

After all inside the sarcophagus there is still 200 tonnes of Corium and large amounts of various other nasties.

PostPosted: May 29, 2017 6:46 am 

E Ireland wrote:
There is some concern that the existing structure might collapse catastrophically and result in significant amounts of radioactive dust being kicked up.

After all inside the sarcophagus there is still 200 tonnes of Corium and large amounts of various other nasties.

That shouldn't be a significant source of activity; the corium reached temperatures of around 3000 degrees during the accident, anything that could volatilize was volatilized already...

The real dangerous stuff is already gone - short lived iodine isotopes. Been like that for 30 years...

PostPosted: May 30, 2017 7:52 pm 

macpacheco wrote:
I find the Rod Adams comment on the dome that it was unnecessary quite interesting.
If the radiation emitted by the buried remains of the reactor is low and its radiation not radio nuclides, what is the logic in building that monster ?
Other than the collapse mentioned earlier, there are two reasons I've heard.
Even now, the old structure is beginning to leak when it rains so some are concerned about rainwater carrying boogiemen out into the wild, and
They will eventually need a crane to actually decommission the unit.
The NCS is a crane with an umbrella.