Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Aug 20, 2017 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 12:27 am 

Five days ago, China just started the TMSR project in the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) annual report conference, which indicates that China has joined the international MSR club officially. Chinese TMSR project is one of the first four launched projects in 2011, as can be called the "Strategic and Leading Project of Science and Technology". Its ultimate target is to investigate and develop a whole new nuclear system ( thorium based molten salt nuclear system) in about 20 years. The website link of related reports are as follow.
http://whb.news365.com.cn/yw/201101/t20 ... 944856.htm
http://www.cas.cn/xw/zyxw/ttxw/201101/t ... 7050.shtml

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 1:13 am 

I forwarded this press report to the BRC. Pres Obama talked about a "sputnik" type call to action in his SOTU address. I think this qualifies.

"Yesterday, as the Chinese Academy of Sciences started the first one of the strategic leader in science and technology projects, "the future of advanced nuclear fission energy - nuclear energy, thorium-based molten salt reactor system" project was officially launched. The scientific goal is to use 20 years or so, developed a new generation of nuclear energy systems, all the technical level reached in the trial and have all intellectual property rights."

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 8:47 am 

http://translation2.paralink.com/
You can try this online translation for a close translation.
I like some of the imaginary. picking up cinders from the old style boiler along the tracks. A new stove that burns the fuel more completely. The reactor would be "omnivorous".

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 8:50 am 

Welcome Hua Bei! That is very exciting news! Please keep us abreast of any new developments!

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 9:02 am 

This is Dr. Jiang Mianheng, who I understand is leading the Chinese thorium MSR project in the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Attachment:
W020110125467338916641.jpg
W020110125467338916641.jpg [ 136.21 KiB | Viewed 15801 times ]

Dr. Jiang is a graduate of Drexel University with a PhD in electrical engineering. His father is Jiang Zemin, former president of the People's Republic of China from 1993 to 2003.

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 9:10 am 

This is the result from Google Translate on this page:

Future nuclear power plant security, "not picky eaters"
Listen to "molten salt thorium-based reactor project," responsible for the interpretation of a new generation of nuclear power technology who XU Hongjie

Date 2011 -01-26
of: Xu Qimin
Source: Wen Wei Po
Reporter Xu Qimin

Thorium-based molten salt reactor, this sounds like people Ruzhui cloud terminology, may be three or four years, and has become a major pillar of energy supply.

Yesterday, as the Chinese Academy of Sciences started the first one of the strategic leader in science and technology projects, "the future of advanced nuclear fission energy - nuclear energy, thorium-based molten salt reactor system" project was officially launched. The scientific goal is to use 20 years or so, developed a new generation of nuclear energy systems, all the technical level reached in the trial and have all intellectual property rights.

After several decades, nuclear power plants may be able to over our territory, even in major cities around - perhaps, their own community there is a nuclear power plant near the ground. It is what our lives would be kind of impact? It safe? Exclusive interview with this reporter person in charge of the project, the CAS Shanghai Institute of Applied Physics XU Hongjie researcher on the future of nuclear power for some.

40?20 40 years, will turn 20 times

About depletion of fossil energy, solar energy, wind energy is not stable enough, hydropower development is over the limit ... ... China's future energy pillars that? Nuclear power, seems to be a Kaopu choice: high energy density, low-carbon emissions, the potential for sustainable development.

"In 2005, China's GDP was 18.23 trillion yuan in total, total primary energy consumption of 22.3 million tons of coal. Today, China has become a big country greenhouse gas emissions in another three or four years, China's GDP, could reach 117 trillion yuan, and the corresponding demand for energy will increase the number? "XU Hongjie said that development requires more energy, and not only can not increase greenhouse gas emissions, but also less good than the" horse race again, but also the horse does not eat " - but nuclear power can do. In terms of the existing nuclear power technology, the release of 1 kg of uranium was 19.6 billion kcal of heat, while 1 kg of standard coal can emit 7,000 kcal.

Therefore, the critical juncture of global climate change, energy conservation, low-carbon economy is to promote a global renaissance of nuclear energy. According to the International Energy Agency (IEA) predicted that by 2050, global nuclear power capacity will reach 1200-1700GWe (million kilowatts). At present, nuclear power accounted for only less than 2% of total energy consumption, according to the NDRC's nuclear and long-term development plan, by 2020 China's installed capacity of nuclear power will reach 40GWe, 2050 may be increased to 260GWe and above.

This means that the next 40 years, China's nuclear energy applications will be turned 20 times!

Made the stove, the "coal" burning net

We all know, nuclear energy systems - thermal reactors fueled with uranium -235, -235 uranium in nature, but the content is very small. According to the current trend estimate of nuclear fission, uranium -235 on the earth's land-based fossil fuel reserves will be depleted at the same time. That may be how to do? "We need a better stove that can burn more fuel." XU Hongjie said that is why the human development of new nuclear energy systems.

He played an example, four or five years of last century, many children will pick up along the railway cinder, because then the boiler combustion technology is not good enough, not the burning of coal, students can pick up home stove. "The most commonly used nuclear reactors, is not perfect like a stove, burned only a fraction of the highest quality fuel, leaving a large number of 'slag'." XU Hongjie by featuring the project is to create a new the stove, not only can glow of nuclear waste is now a "second spring", but also the potential use of nuclear resources of thorium -232-- thorium resources in China is a big country, if the thorium used for nuclear energy, the millennium can be no security of energy supply worry.

China has chosen as a breakthrough in the direction of molten salt reactors. "Molten salt reactor using molten fluoride salt carrying nuclear fuel - somewhat similar to the crust in the magma, in the 'stove' in the combustion, and constantly enormous energy output." XU Hongjie, said an international system of the fourth generation of nuclear reactors six candidate reactor types, the only liquid fuel reactors, it has a simple structure and can run at atmospheric pressure, fuel "omnivorous" and other advantages. "The new stove" can be made very small, enclosing a certain stability of the nuclear fuel will be able to run for several decades, and after full combustion, in theory, it produces nuclear waste will be only one-thousandth of existing technologies.

As the world is still in the development of a new generation of nuclear reactors, the thorium-based independent research and development of molten salt reactors, will be possible to obtain all intellectual property rights. This will enable China to firmly grasp the lifeline of energy in their own hands.

Let the "nuclear" is no longer aggressive

In the past, people always talk about "core" colors. Hiroshima atomic bomb, the Chernobyl nuclear power plant explosion, is like a lingering nightmare to stay in human history. But a new generation of nuclear power will take the green, the mark of peace with human beings into a new era.

Traditional nuclear waste produced by reactors, there are a lot of easy to produce nuclear weapons, nuclear fuel plutonium -239, which makes the peaceful use of nuclear energy with nuclear weapons proliferation risk. The "new stove" burning thorium-uranium -233 -232 produce nuclear fuel, while also associated with impurities in uranium -232, which makes the thorium - uranium fuel is internationally recognized as not suitable for the development of nuclear weapons.

In addition, the "new stove" in the atmospheric pressure operation, rather than the traditional reactor under high pressure, the operation simple and safe. "When the furnace temperature exceeds a predetermined value, in the bottom of the melting of the frozen plug will automatically carry all the fuel in the molten salt into the emergency storage tanks, nuclear reaction is terminated." XU Hongjie told reporters, as the cooling agent is fluoride (also carrying fuel), after cooling into a solid salt, which makes nuclear fuel is not easy to leak, and will not play a role in ground water caused by ecological disasters. It also makes the location of a new generation of reactors will be more freedom: it can be built in the tens of meters deep underground, either completely isolated ray, but will also prevent the enemy's weapon attack; it was built in large cities can also be work in the wilderness, to remote villages to send long-lasting power ... ...

Although the wonderful prospects, but scientists there are many problems to be overcome. From the world's first successful test of a reactor to promote the commercial nuclear power plant, after almost 20 years; and nuclear technology to the current maturity of the mainstream, and after 20 years of development. "Truly promote the use of a new generation of reactors, may also need 20-30 years."

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 9:40 am 

Another reason not to bury the U233.

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 12:53 pm 

Ida-Russkie wrote:
Another reason not to bury the U233.

I hope you are right.

The sarcastic side of me hears the present administration in the US say "We should get rid of the U233 and lead by example. The greens will love us for our leadership."

Facepalm.

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 2:07 pm 

I certainly do not hold this against China. However, I am very disappointed that the U.S. of A. is, by default, letting other countries get ahead of us in both research and development as well as in manufacturing. Unless we take strong corrective action, we will continue to slip.

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 2:43 pm 

FRE wrote:
I certainly do not hold this against China. However, I am very disappointed that the U.S. of A. is, by default, letting other countries get ahead of us in both research and development as well as in manufacturing. Unless we take strong corrective action, we will continue to slip.

FRE,

Here is the Sen/staff to visit. Probably no more important person to meet with. Since you live in NM you have a better chance of actually meeting with the senator's staff to discuss this issue. If you need help in any way please let me know.

About Sen Jeff Bingaman

COMMITTEES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Energy and Natural Resources Committee
Chairman
The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee has jurisdiction over national energy policy and the public lands of the nation.

He has an office near you.

ALBUQUERQUE
Suite 130
625 Silver Avenue, SW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
[map this address]
(505) 346-6601
8 am to 5 pm
Monday through Friday

http://bingaman.senate.gov/contact/offices/index.cfm

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 2:55 pm 

Thanks, Mr. Sorensen. It's my pleasure to share the news related I have acquired.

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 3:02 pm 

As I know Dr. Jiang Mianheng had visited U.S.A.from January 18 to 22. He signed the protocol on cooperation in energy science with DOE Deputy Minister Steven Koonin on behalf of Chinese Academy of Sciences.
http://www.cas.cn/xw/ldhd/201101/t20110 ... 6595.shtml
Looking forward to further cooperation for the common aim to achieve the development of MSR.

Attachments:
W020110125353875619515.jpg
W020110125353875619515.jpg [ 164.38 KiB | Viewed 15802 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 3:22 pm 

Hua Bei wrote:
Looking forward to further cooperation for the common aim to achieve the development of MSR.

Does the "further cooperation" include China joining the international Gen-IV effort for MSR development ?

http://www.gen-4.org/
Quote:
The Generation IV International Forum has thirteen Members which are signatories of its founding document, the GIF Charter. Argentina, Brazil, Canada, France, Japan, the Republic of Korea, the Republic of South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States signed the GIF Charter in July 2001. Subsequently, it was signed by Switzerland in 2002, Euratom in 2003, and the People’s Republic of China and the Russian Federation,
both in 2006

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 3:48 pm 

Kirk Sorensen wrote:
This is the result from Google Translate on this page:

Future nuclear power plant security, "not picky eaters"
Listen to "molten salt thorium-based reactor project," responsible for the interpretation of a new generation of nuclear power technology who XU Hongjie

Date 2011 -01-26
of: Xu Qimin
Source: Wen Wei Po
Reporter Xu Qimin

What's quite amazing is that even through the machine translation you can sense that the article is well-written for non-technical readers while keeping the facts straight. All other popular articles I have seen about the LFTR so far misrepresent it in some way or mess up at least one major fact.

"better stove". I like it.

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 4:14 pm 

charlesH wrote:
FRE wrote:

FRE,

Here is the Sen/staff to visit. Probably no more important person to meet with. Since you live in NM you have a better chance of actually meeting with the senator's staff to discuss this issue. If you need help in any way please let me know.

About Sen Jeff Bingaman

COMMITTEES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Energy and Natural Resources Committee
Chairman
The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee has jurisdiction over national energy policy and the public lands of the nation.

He has an office near you.

ALBUQUERQUE
Suite 130
625 Silver Avenue, SW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
[map this address]
(505) 346-6601
8 am to 5 pm
Monday through Friday

http://bingaman.senate.gov/contact/offices/index.cfm

Thank you; I've printed out your post.

I did visit his office once before, but the additional information you've provided may help. I also plan to take the information about China's doing LFTR work.

Some people might respond by trying to slow China down, but I would strongly object to that approach. Rather, we should take China's progress as a signal to get moving!! Too many times in the past we have, by default, let other countries get ahead of us.

The English car industry declined because it failed to produce reliable cars; the phrase, "English car disease," became popular. Unfortunately, we failed to learn from the English experience. That enabled the Japanese to make inroads by making more reliable cars than American manufacturers. And now, by default, it looks as though we are permitting other countries to get ahead of us on nuclear power.

There is something very seriously wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next